English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm asked to translate a letter into English. The letter is about one company stating that my mom really works there.

How is this type of a letter called?

I would like to google for an exampe of a similar letter, but i don't know the right keywords.

share|improve this question
Hi, every so often I go through posts which have "How do you call....?" or "How is/are ______ called?" in their questions or titles. See the discussion in this post: “How do we call (something) in English?” Would you mind editing your body question to What is this type ....?" Thanks! – Mari-Lou A Apr 13 at 12:38
up vote 3 down vote accepted

In the general sense, if the letter is a general letter from your mother's employer confirming that she works/worked there and that her work was satisfactory (or more than satisfactory), it would be termed as a reference (usually plural references). If, on the other hand, it literally confirms only the fact of her employment, and possibly the conditions of that employment, it would be a statement of employment or letter of employment.

share|improve this answer
Thanks a lot. Statement of employment is exactly what i nedded. – Andrey Dec 27 '11 at 12:50
@Andrey: Probably you cannot up vote. – Kris Dec 27 '11 at 12:54
Sorry i didn't upvote before. Now the site doesn't let me do it.. – Andrey Dec 27 '11 at 13:12

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.