Sign up ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

There's the Italian word serramento which means "a window or a door", used in this way for example:

Our company produces [serramenti] in aluminium.

Is there an equivalent word or expression that refers to doors and windows in general in English?

share|improve this question
What is an aluminum window? Windowpane? – sq33G Dec 21 '11 at 10:21
What is the difference between serramenti and finestra? – Matt E. Эллен Dec 21 '11 at 11:35
@MattЭллен finestra = window; serramenti = windows and doors – splattne Dec 21 '11 at 11:59
@sq33G there are windows made of aluminium, e.g. – splattne Dec 21 '11 at 12:00
@MattЭллен In Italian you don't use the word when you want to refer to a window or a door specifically. It's like fruit vs. apple and orange. – splattne Dec 21 '11 at 12:09

1 Answer 1

up vote 11 down vote accepted

It is common to use the phrase 'doors and windows' as a class of objects that is part of a construction (typically part of what is known as joinery and woodwork). This suggests that there is no widely used and understood single word for this purpose.

In certain technical contexts, doors, windows, ventilators, etc., are collectively referred to as 'openings'. (I could say openings increase the cost of a concrete structure.) You will notice that openings could be understood to be framed (in wood, metal, etc.,), rather than just an absence of material.

share|improve this answer
Perhaps combining the two suggestions offered thus far would work: framed openings. – onomatomaniak Dec 21 '11 at 11:55
Yes, to remove all possibility of doubt. However, 'framed openings' is often used only where expressly referring to framed ones and by implication excluding what may be unframed openings. – Kris Dec 21 '11 at 12:03
@onomatomaniak and Kris: Thank you! I was looking for a good name in English I could use as object/database table name. That seems to fit. – splattne Dec 21 '11 at 12:04
Btw, serrare means to close / shut tightly in Italian. – splattne Dec 21 '11 at 12:11
But a seemingly derived word serration means (something suitable for use in) cutting/ cut-out. An opening is a cut-out. – Kris Dec 21 '11 at 12:25

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.