English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a special name to call words like Judeo-Christian, following the construction Xo-Y?

(Same question for French)

share|improve this question
up vote 7 down vote accepted

In general, this kind of word is called a compound. Wikipedia says:

Compounding or Word-compounding refers to the faculty and device of language to form new words by combining or putting together old words. In other words, compound, compounding or word-compounding occurs when a person attaches two or more words together to make them one word. The meanings of the words interrelate in such a way that a new meaning comes out which is very different from the meanings of the words in isolation.

The specific construction in your example (and in your French examples as well) takes a combining form Xo (Judeo is the combining form of Jewish) and compounds it with a noun Y.

This is an example of a specific type of compound known as a classical compound.

share|improve this answer
Is there a specific term if it's more than just a compound? If it's also a modifier, eg semi-precious – mgb Dec 19 '11 at 4:43
@MartinBeckett I expanded my answer as I peeked at the OP's French question and saw that they were all of this specific form. – Gnawme Dec 19 '11 at 5:00
"This is an example of a specific type of compound known as a classical compound". Does that imply classical compound is not limited to the Xo-Y pattern? – Kris Dec 19 '11 at 10:01
@Kris Yes; read the reference I linked. – Gnawme Dec 19 '11 at 17:21

I know this is an old question, but I'm surprised no-one mentioned "hyphenated". The construction described in the OP is a hyphenated compound word.

share|improve this answer
The question asks for a "special name" for words "following the construction Xo-Y". "Hyphenated compound word" is a hypernym of "classical compound", a term that takes in combinations where a vowel "facilitates the combination", like "the Greek thematic vowel -o-" or "the Latin thematic -i-". That is, both terms are correct but "classical compound" is more specific than "hyphenated compound". – jwpat7 Jul 26 '12 at 17:02
Thank you. I missed the nuance of the "o" in "Xo-Y". I learned something! – TecBrat Jul 27 '12 at 13:26

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.