English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is it nonboldface? Is bold's antonym nonbold? Is it unemboldened? Is it hyphenated? What word do I use to mean text that is not in boldface style?

share|improve this question
See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Font_weight#Weight – tenfour Dec 14 '11 at 22:12
Boldface, italic, underlined, etc., are all variations to "normal" type, so that's effectively the antonym for all of them. If you really need an antonym for boldface, it should probably be non-boldface, but most people would be glad to settle for non-bold. – FumbleFingers Dec 14 '11 at 22:14
I have seen lightface used for not boldface. – GEdgar Dec 14 '11 at 22:55
up vote 10 down vote accepted

Roman is the technical term for non-bold, non-italic.

Bold refers to the weight of a typeface. A non-bold typeface, regardless of any other properties, is called light.

share|improve this answer
You're biased! I can tell by your name. – tenfour Dec 14 '11 at 22:21
@tenfour: What do you mean? – CesarGon Dec 14 '11 at 22:22
@CesarGon: Julius Caesar was a Roman :) – Hugo Dec 14 '11 at 23:01
According to Wikipedia, apparently the following are acceptable: Normal / regular / roman / plain – Dave Dec 15 '11 at 15:11
@Hugo, tenfour: Oh, I see. Duh. – CesarGon Dec 15 '11 at 19:13

I would call this type of text simple or plain. However, I don't think this is an antonym for boldface. It is just text which isn't bold-faced, italicised or underlined.

share|improve this answer

Apart from the answers given above, I would like to provide one. A Non-bold type face is often also called as a regular type face.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.