English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is a word to describe the color of a person's hair whose hair is nearly jet-black, but slightly brown?

For what it's worth, the person whose hair I have in mind is female with long, straight hair.

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by Robert Cartaino Dec 12 '11 at 22:39

Questions on English Language & Usage Stack Exchange are expected to relate to English language and usage within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

We're really trying to avoid using this site for "single word requests." If you have a particularly interesting problem to solve, all we ask is that you put a bit of effort and research into the question. See: meta.english.stackexchange.com/questions/1654/… or meta.english.stackexchange.com/questions/2160/… – Robert Cartaino Dec 12 '11 at 22:39
Even if on-topic, this is probably a duplicate: people with black hair – Mitch Dec 12 '11 at 23:45
Vote Reopen : we clearly all have different ideas about what's interesting. – cindi Dec 13 '11 at 9:12
up vote 2 down vote accepted

A brunette is a woman with dark brown hair. You can also use the word as an adjective.

share|improve this answer

If you want a terrible portmanteau, I can offer you brunoir: brunette + noir.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.