English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What would you call an image in a newspaper article that appears in the flow of the article with text wrapped around it? For example an article with two columns — on the right column there's an image with wrapping around it. What would you call it? In-line image? Article in-line image? Paragraph image?

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Illustration is the only word that fits in normal English. If you want more technical editing terms, you could try box, figure or image. There is, so far as I know, no one word for an image inserted into an article rather than next to it.

share|improve this answer
That'll do! Thanks. – leon Dec 12 '11 at 11:10
It may just be in the US, but I don't think we would use illustration very often for an image in a newspaper article, unless perhaps the image was drawn rather than a photograph. Certainly the definition of illustration covers photographs, but it just has a connotation of something that's drawn by hand, probably because the most likely place we'd encounter that word would be in reference to children's books and diagrams and whatnot rather than exemplary photographs. We'd probably use picture or photograph for a print newspaper, and picture or image for an online newspaper. – Phoenix Dec 12 '11 at 12:05
@Phoenix: interesting. What would you use for a graph demonstrating the point made? (I was going to say illustrating but that's begging the question.) Illustration is BrEng for all three cases, I would say. – TimLymington Dec 12 '11 at 12:24
@TimLymington: A graph? Probably just graph, perhaps chart, depends on how the data is modeled. If it were a picture of something like, say, an engine with the parts labeled or a cutaway or whatever, then it would be a diagram. I can honestly say that I've never in my life heard anyone say something like "Take a look at this illustration in this article on page 2," it's always "Take a look at this picture (or photograph)..." or "Did you see that graph in the Times today?" – Phoenix Dec 12 '11 at 12:42
@Phoenix: I believe you're correct, except when you discuss all the ... images ... in a publication as a group. Then we may say "the illustrations". But then I fall back to agreeing that if they are all or mostly photographs, we would say "the pictures" or "the photos". – Jay Dec 12 '11 at 16:53

In computer graphic layout, we talk about "in-line images", but I don't think this is a term used and understood by the average person. I don't know if printers have different terminology.

share|improve this answer
Precisely- But then I wanted this for an average person. – leon Dec 12 '11 at 17:03

Graphic (without an 's' at the end). Can be an all encompassing term for non-textual content in any context, appearing in/ on any of the media.

I do not have authentic references at hand right now. However, I am sure this term is emerging as a well understood and accepted catch-all, esp., in journalism.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.