English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a more formal word or phrase for mover and shaker? Single word is preferred.

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Since mover and shaker means a person who wields power and influence in a certain field, these words might work:

  • Magnate
  • Mogul (applicable definition is number three, for the second entry)
share|improve this answer

Movers and Shakers are people of influence, so you can call them, in abbreviated form if necessary, the influential, as in 'The influential in the United States, as in all countries, are those with money, power and popularity.'

share|improve this answer

A single word that describes "mover and shaker" is heavyweight. An informal, "animal" term that is descriptive is elephant.

share|improve this answer
Personally, I do not think that heavyweight is very formal. – user11550 Dec 11 '11 at 19:17
I don't think heavyweight is a good way to describe 'mover and shaker' without more context. – Pureferret Dec 11 '11 at 22:00

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.