English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the difference between academic experience and research experience?

In my opinion, academic experience is a super set of research experience. Is that right?

But, what other aspects should academic experience contain?

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

There can be some overlap between academic experience and research experience but in general they are distinct sets of experience. One can be a researcher in academia, in private industry, independently, etc. without being an academic person; and one can be an academic without being involved in research. (At colleges or universities that are also research institutions, many faculty will accrue academic and research experience simultaneously, by both teaching and doing research.)

Thus, neither is a superset or subset of the other.

Teaching is the principal component of academic experience, but serving on faculty committees, advising students, grading papers and projects, etc. are part of it too.

Edit: As suggested by a comment, meaning of terms can depend on context. It seems more proper to term "experience gained through coursework" as education or educational experience, or perhaps academic background instead of academic experience. However, I don't know definitive category names or boundaries. For example, some vita list degree work in the same section as academic positions held. Two examples below are from Wikipedia page sections labeled Academic Experience. The first example has snippets from a Benjamin Sovacool page; the second, from a Jerry Linenger page.

Sovacool is a Visiting Associate Professor at Vermont Law School and [...] was previously assistant professor at the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy [... and] has a PhD in Science and Technology Studies from Virginia Tech.

Linenger graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy and proceeded directly to medical school. [...] served as a naval flight surgeon [...] doctorate-level training in epidemiology [...] research principal investigator at the Naval Health Research Center. He concurrently served as a faculty member at [UCSD]

share|improve this answer
I think that in a literal sense, academic experience IS a superset of research experience, since research is an academic pursuit. However, when an application asks you for academic experience, they mean something like "experience gained through coursework at a college/university/highschool". For instance, suppose I'm a pre-med student and I've worked in a lab at the National Institutes of Health; that counts as "research experience", NOT academic experience. – alcas Dec 10 '11 at 2:44
@alcas Agreed. I've edited the answer, although not directly addressing your comment. – jwpat7 Dec 10 '11 at 4:48

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.