English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a term for the work area inside a bank branch, the "behind the counter" area where tellers work and cash, checks, deposit slips, etc. are kept?

share|improve this question
Do you have a general context for this? Are you trying to translate from another language or are you trying to find a word you know of but just can't remember? – Mitch Dec 7 '11 at 21:19
Is there a reason behind the counter is not sufficient? – yoozer8 Dec 7 '11 at 21:34
Just curious if there was a more succinct term... Thanks for all the help! – The English Chicken Dec 7 '11 at 22:09
The people who work there might call it the front office. As opposed to the back office, which in other businesses is where all the real work gets done. I've never been in the back office of a bank, but I imagine it's where they jump up and laughing and throwing banknotes into the air, like bank-robbers after a successful heist. – FumbleFingers Dec 7 '11 at 23:33
up vote 2 down vote accepted

I don't have an authoritative citation, but my understanding is that within the banking industry, this area is called the teller line.

share|improve this answer
...and Googling supports this notion. +1. – msh210 Dec 8 '11 at 15:31

Since there isn't a single word for specifically a bank teller's work area, the next goal would be to find the most concise description, which may vary by context. Behind the counter at the bank or bank tellers' work area are probably the best context-independent phrases, though when context is present, it may allow shaving those phrases down to work area and behind the counter.

share|improve this answer

In banks where the teller is in an enclosed area with but a small opening through which to transact business, that area is called a cage. It's conceivable that the term's been pressed into service to describe by analogy any space a bank teller works in — but I am unfamiliar with, and (after a cursory glance at a few of the results of searching Google Books for teller cage) see no evidence of, such use. The first 100 search results at Google Books for "a|the teller|tellers in the" -"teller|tellers in the bank" yield no other possible word for what you seek. So, as Daniel δ has suggested, use a phrase, like behind the counter at the bank.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.