English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm a programmer and I wonder how I can call these symbols in English:

  • ~
  • |
  • ^
  • `
share|improve this question

closed as off topic by jwpat7, Hugo, Mehper C. Palavuzlar, Alenanno, kiamlaluno Dec 7 '11 at 10:59

Questions on English Language & Usage Stack Exchange are expected to relate to English language and usage within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

possible duplicate of What are these symbols called? ~ ` ^ – jwpat7 Dec 7 '11 at 8:50
Three of those symbols, ~^` (tilde, caret, grave accent) are covered in a now-closed question. (Closed as off-topic.) Names of all of these, including the vertical bar, or pipe, can be found in a wikipedia article. – jwpat7 Dec 7 '11 at 8:57
@jwpat Not an exact duplicate because | is here, but that question was closed as off-topic. Also, if you search for each character in Google, you get the corresponding Wikipedia pages: general reference. So, definitely shows no research (downvote) and a vote to close (general reference if not off-topic). – Hugo Dec 7 '11 at 9:02
up vote 3 down vote accepted

They have some other names (such as "grave accent" for `), but these are the most common in programming:

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.