English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What I'm looking for is a word to describe "compliance with unspoken resistance" or something of the like. In other words, one complies, unwillingly. However, the unwillingness, is not stated outright, it is partially implied.

Any suggestions?

I was thinking "submission", but I'm not sure if it carries the full weight of what I would like to say..

share|improve this question


(Passive assent or agreement without protest.)

It should be noted that the word does necessarily cover the intended meaning of unwillingness. Some definitions actually indicate quiet satisfaction.


share|improve this answer
I like both words, but I believe resignation is a little more appropriate in the context I plan to use it in, but, I'm looking forward to adding Acquiescence to my vocabulary! – Qcom Nov 17 '10 at 4:42

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.