English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a comprehensive list on the web where I can find the names of common symbols? Google unfortunately doesn't search on symbols, so it is pretty much useless there.

Specifically, what is ` called (the symbol to the left of 1 on US keyboards)?

share|improve this question
up vote 8 down vote accepted

` is the grave accent, U+0060.

Resources I can recommend: Unicode Code Charts, Wikipedia: Punctuation, Diacritic.

share|improve this answer
It's also referred to as backtick. – Steve Melnikoff Nov 15 '10 at 13:21

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.