English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Just like the title says, when I say compare and contrast, what is the equivalent of the word contrast if I say comparison.

share|improve this question

closed as general reference by Mitch, FumbleFingers, Robert Cartaino Nov 30 '11 at 3:52

This question is too basic; it can be definitively and permanently answered by a single link to a standard internet reference source designed specifically to find that type of information.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

We're really trying to avoid using this site for "single word requests." If you have a particularly interesting problem to solve, all we ask is that you put a bit of effort and research into the question. See: meta.english.stackexchange.com/questions/1654/… or meta.english.stackexchange.com/questions/2160/… – Robert Cartaino Nov 30 '11 at 3:51

Verbs: compare and contrast.
Nouns: comparison and contrast.

share|improve this answer
Upvoted with misgivings. It's a trivial "general reference" question, but I still think you should have included a link to online definitions - cite authoritative sources, and all that. – FumbleFingers Nov 30 '11 at 3:40
Like many two-syllable verbs with zero-derived nominalizations, the two words compare (N) and compare (V) are pronounced differently. The verb is stressed on the second syllable, while the noun is stressed on the first. So the difference would be /kəm'pɛr ṇ kən'træst/ as verbs vs /kəm'pɛrəsən ṇ 'kantræst/ as nouns. – John Lawler Nov 30 '11 at 6:11
+1 for the concept of differentiated pronunciation. However, you initially cite compare instead of contrast. – sarah Dec 1 '11 at 0:44

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.