English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a word that can describe this facial expression?

enter image description here

("about to burst out laughing")

share|improve this question
I don't think any artifice would have the same effect as the excellent phrase about to burst out laughing. The reader should feel it within the continuity of context, without having to consult a dictionary (even an online one). – Kris Nov 30 '11 at 10:16
up vote 2 down vote accepted

The picture shows a laugh that is smothered.

share|improve this answer

Not a particularly common word even with its primary meaning of impregnated with thorium oxide to increase thermionic emission, but...

thoriated - tittering; being or sounding of nervous or suppressed laughter

share|improve this answer

The face appears contorted / convulsed with suppressed laughter to me.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.