English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

For example, on my blog I want to link to the definition of 'nut' as'a perforated block usually of metal that has an internal screw thread and is used on a bolt or screw' which is the third definition on the page http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nut.

Merriam-Webster only allows linking to the page for 'nut' but not highlight or link directly to a specific definition. In this case the definition I want to indicate is the third. Are there online dictionaries that allows you to link to a specific definition of a word instead of all the various definitions?

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by Jasper Loy, Daniel, kiamlaluno, MrHen, Marthaª Nov 27 '11 at 3:19

Questions on English Language & Usage Stack Exchange are expected to relate to English language and usage within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Wikitionary has a Contents list for each definition. The links in that table take you directly to the part in question, and you can use that link elsewhere. Try this for example: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/blog#Verb

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.