English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How can I describe a person who likes room temperature between 26 degrees Celsius and 29 degrees Celsius.

The person dislikes any temperature beyond this range.

share|improve this question

closed as too localized by Barrie England, simchona, onomatomaniak, JoseK, z7sg Ѫ Nov 24 '11 at 12:03

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

In what context do you want to use this word? That might help in answering the question. – Flimzy Nov 24 '11 at 8:57
@Flimzy, I want to use a word to describe a person that have this strange reaction: In a temperature below 26 degree Celsius, the person body (from head to toe) become so cold that you thought you have touch a ice. However, in the temperature above 29 degree Celsius, you can see the person sweating and the body become very hot. Hope that this will help you in answering my question. – Larry Morries Nov 24 '11 at 9:01
Hmmm... I'll think on it. Slightly related, someone who is comfortable in cold temperature is often said to be "cold blooded" and someone comfortable in warm temperature, "warm-blooded." – Flimzy Nov 24 '11 at 9:05
But the problem now is that the person is neither a "cold blooded" nor "warm-blooded". The person is in between and right now I have two choice - one to use 'Normal' or use 'Mesophilic'. Definitely, not the word 'normal-blooded' cause I will LOL. – Larry Morries Nov 24 '11 at 9:07
up vote 2 down vote accepted

"Normal," of course, unless the person is from a different planet.

share|improve this answer
Actually I have a word for it - Mesophilic but a quick check show that it prefer temperature of 30 - 37 Degree Celsius (although the whole temperature range from 25 - 40 Degree Celsius) – Larry Morries Nov 24 '11 at 7:53
+1 I will take the word Normal as the person is not well-verse in English. – Larry Morries Nov 25 '11 at 1:22
Normal, really? Most people I know find room temperatures above 26°C uncomfortably warm… it's different if you're outside with a breeze, at the beach, etc. – ghoppe Nov 25 '11 at 15:20

In addition to Kris answer, my another alternative word would be - Mesophilic

I am still open for a better word choice (if there are).

share|improve this answer
I love that word. I learned it recently while reading about fermenting dairy products, and have just been waiting for a chance to use it to describe people. I almost provided an answer... but then I saw that you beat me to it. I also like the noun form... "mesophile" because it just sounds naughty. – Flimzy Nov 24 '11 at 8:49
I must also add, you probably shouldn't use that word in any context where you expect non-biologists to have any idea what you're talking about. The dictionary says it is primarily, or even specifically, a biology term. So applying it to people is really a metaphorical use of the word more than a technically proper one. – Flimzy Nov 24 '11 at 8:50
@Flimzy, actually I want to answer my question but I am not sure if there are even better word to best describe the person that I mention in my question. Thank you for loving that word. (Spend quite some time before I find it.) I agree with you that the word is really a metaphorical use but I could not find any better except using the word 'Normal' at this time of moment. – Larry Morries Nov 24 '11 at 8:54
@Flimzy, why would it be metaphoric? Biology studies "life and living organisms". It is rare though. – Unreason Nov 24 '11 at 10:33
@Unreason: You're right, I should have said it is "primarily a microbiology term" – Flimzy Nov 24 '11 at 15:11

I would describe such a person as sensitive to even mild fluctuations in temperature.

Temperature-sensitive is more concise, but less specific option; it's also a medical term.

share|improve this answer
I can't really said that the person is sensitive to mild fluctuations in temperature cause if it is, then a quick change of temperature from 27 degree to 29 degree or 28 degree to 26 degree will make the person feel uncomfortable even though the temperature fluctuate little but is still in the person's acceptable temperature. – Larry Morries Nov 24 '11 at 9:22
I think if your acceptable range is 4 degrees, you are sensitive to mild fluctuations. – onomatomaniak Nov 24 '11 at 9:23
Is there any word that does not make one feel that it belong to a medical term or biology term cause I don't want to hurt that person feeling. – Larry Morries Nov 24 '11 at 9:52
I can't imagine anyone aware of the fact that they hate temperatures outside of a set range would be offended by being called temperature-sensitive. It's entirely neutral. – onomatomaniak Nov 24 '11 at 9:56
@onomatomaniak: I don't think 4 degrees of comfort is a narrow range. (For those using Fahrenheit: it's 7.2 degrees F; the range in F is 78.8 to 84.2.) People from some countries may prefer different ranges, but if you consider (say) what temperature you'd like to set your AC to, I don't think this is a narrow range. – ShreevatsaR Nov 24 '11 at 9:59

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.