Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I checked some dictionaries and found out the following words to be used for objects whose names are forgotten:

whatsis, whatchamacallit, thingummy, dohickey, dojigger, doodad, doohickey, hickey, gizmo, gismo, gubbins, thingamabob, thingumabob, thingmabob, thingamajig, thingumajig, thingmajig.

Which of these words are really used in colloquial cases? What colloquial word do native English speakers use when they don't remember a word at that moment but they still want to use a word instead of it?

share|improve this question
There is no single word and no one will be able to list them all. I suggest you rephrase the question otherwise this will remain 'not a real question'. –  Unreason Nov 24 '11 at 14:42

6 Answers 6

up vote 6 down vote accepted

I have used or heard almost all of those words used in the context of tip of the tongue name replacement.

The three I've not heard in that context are gubbins, which I have heard as a reference to a person, much the same as muggins:

And who do you think will have to clear up this mess? Gubbins, here.

hickey, which I've only heard with respect to love bites, and I've not heard dojigger at all.

One that I think is missing from that list is hoojamaflip.

I think the most used would be whatsit and thingamabob. Another alternative is just plain thing.

share|improve this answer
"Gubbins" in UK English means 'stuff', but never the same as 'Muggins' (self-deprecating term for 'myself') –  JBRWilkinson Nov 24 '11 at 19:07

Many of these are commonly used, though some have specific contexts.

I often hear "Whatchamacallit" in many different contexts, while "thingummy," "dohickey," "doodad," "doohickey," "thingamabob," "thingumabob" and "thingamajig" usually relate to objects such as small parts with technical names. However you would not hear them used to describe a concept or idea.

"Gizmo" is used for mechanical, electrical or technological devices which either lack a name or the name can't be recalled. I've never heard "whatsis," "dojigger" or "hickey" used to fill in for a missing word, though they may very well be dialect-dependent.

share|improve this answer

I think the answer is going to be dialect-related and whatever is used within someone's family. I usually use thingamabob or thingamajig. For a person, I very rudely will say what's her face or what's his name. I believe very term that you listed American, not British, English. I was raised in the midwest (Great Lakes region).

share|improve this answer

I use the word widget for this, although it since it was coined it has acquired a special meaning in programming.

Also useful might be underhang overarm pin and upper frupplebolt, although these latter are more often used for imaginary parts of engines than for things one has forgotten the name of.

share|improve this answer

We use 'doovidadgets' and 'thingamies' in Australia, don't know if this is used elsewhere though.

share|improve this answer

I've heard whatchamacallit, whatsit, thingummy, thingamabob, and thingamajig.

I would say that a doodad is a tchotchke, and not a whatchamacallit. A gizmo is some kind of mechanical device (although it's often used for one whose name you don't remember).

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.