English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

There are subtle differences between complex and complicated. As far as I can tell, though, they both merge into one noun form: complexity.

Merriam-Webster has an entry for complicatedness, but that sounds outright contrived.

Are there any better words for this?

share|improve this question
Another noun form is "complication". – MετάEd Nov 22 '11 at 23:29
There's also "complexification", this is used mainly by mathematicians, but it also appears occasionally (and arguably mistakenly) in the real world. – Peter Shor Nov 22 '11 at 23:49
Are you asking for words based off of complex and complicated, or just synonyms? – user11550 Nov 22 '11 at 23:54
@Mahnax Words based on complex and complicated, preferably. – Maxpm Nov 22 '11 at 23:55
Why was I downvoted? I feel the question is pretty clear. – Maxpm Nov 23 '11 at 2:55
up vote 3 down vote accepted

You could use intricacy (a measure of how intricate something is). Or even convolution, depending on the context. It would appear that the only other words based off of complex and complicated are complexification (which may or may not be a word), and complication.

share|improve this answer

First of all, complex is not a noun. It is an adjective. The noun is complexity and for complicated the noun in complication.

share|improve this answer
Complication is not usually just the nominal counterpart to adjectival complicated. Its basic meaning is “a circumstance that complicates something; a difficulty” (ODO), rather than just “the state of being complicated”. – Janus Bahs Jacquet Oct 6 '14 at 21:09
(1) First of all, complex is a noun in some contexts. (2) The question isn't suggesting that complex is a noun. It is saying "complex and complicated are adjectives that are similar but not interchangeable. The word complexity clearly represents the state or quality of being complex. Is there a distinct noun corresponding to complicated, or do you use complexity for it, too?" (3) +1 What Janus said. – Scott Oct 6 '14 at 22:07

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.