English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a word for the punctuation "?!" or "!?"? A friend of mine steeped in such idiosyncrasies of eccentric English lore said there was but could not recall the name. I guess for reasons known only to the search-gods it seems rather ineffective to Google.

share|improve this question
up vote 22 down vote accepted

Apparently it's an interrobang.

share|improve this answer
+1. Interrobang usually refers to an amalgamation of the two marks, but it indeed describes this phenomenon. The actual interrobang mark is extremely rare, and may be completely absent from regular usage. – Brendon Nov 20 '11 at 3:15
@Brendon If so, why was it given a Unicode codepoint‽ – D Krueger Nov 20 '11 at 4:03
@DKrueger: The Unicode codepoint set is pretty comprehensive, so it's not surprising that it contains a character that is only rarely used. I've never seen the symbol in use, other than on the aforementioned article. – Lynn Nov 20 '11 at 4:25
Unicode is intentionally almost absurdly comprehensive. It also has the irony mark. Isn't that just the most useful thing⸮ – Ben Brocka Nov 20 '11 at 4:43
By my reading of the Unicode Consortium's rules, a huge chunk of Unicode code points are explicitly not supposed to be there (i.e. their presence clashes with the stated purpose of Unicode), but they are :/ – Karl Knechtel Nov 20 '11 at 8:32

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.