Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sometimes the constant stream of exported American culture overpowers the vocabulary. Thanks to the explosion of posts on Reddit in the last month I know that Americans call a a carved pumpkin a "jack o'lantern". But I can't for the life of me remember what I used to call it.

Is there even a specific name for it in British English?

share|improve this question
We always just called them "pumpkin lanterns". –  Urbycoz Nov 18 '11 at 14:27
Yeah. Maybe that's it. I think knowing that there's an American word for it made me thin there was an English one. –  Joe Nov 18 '11 at 14:28
John O' Lantern? And the Dutch would be Jan de Lantern? –  JeffSahol Nov 18 '11 at 15:46

3 Answers 3

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Unfortunately it can be hard to find pumpkins in the UK at any time other than at Halloween, so I've always just said "pumpkin" because it doesn't tend to be ambiguous.

share|improve this answer
Yeah. I think you're right. –  Joe Nov 18 '11 at 16:07
Would you mark it as the answer please? :) –  silves89 Nov 21 '11 at 8:39
In AmE it is common (more common than "jack o'lantern"?) to also call them just plain 'pumpkin' or maybe at most a 'carved pumpkin' (as you say in BrE). That is, the greeting card industry and cute children's books call them "jack o'lanterns" but most people don't. –  Mitch Jan 12 '12 at 21:16

A dictionary of English folklore by Jacqueline Simpson and Stephen Roud suggests says:

Jack o' Lantern: A local name for a Will-o'-the-Wisp, mainly in East Anglia and in southwest England; also spelled Jack-a-Lantern and Jacky Lantern

share|improve this answer
I'm not a native English speaker –  rds Nov 18 '11 at 14:28
That's not a carved pumpkin, but is probably where the American name for a carved pumpkin came from. And possibly carved vegetables might have been called Jack o'Lanterns in southwest England. Interesting. –  Peter Shor Nov 18 '11 at 14:38

Mmm. Just found this after doing a bit of research on 'Halloween Lanterns'. That's what my family and friends, here in good old England, have always called these. I think you'll find that this is the most common name for these.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.