English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

A faculty may consist of professors; then, what does a staff consist of?

For example, I want to know which noun can refer to a member of the staff in this cs.toronto.edu staff list, with job titles like

  • Administrative & Financial Assistant
  • Administrative & Financial Assistant - AI
  • Administrative HR Assistant
  • Financial Assistant
  • Financial Officer
  • Graduate Assistant
  • Graduate Program Administrator
  • Graduate Program Assistant
  • Technical Staff - CDF Supervisor
  • Technical Staff - CSLab
  • Undergraduate Assistant

and many more.

share|improve this question
In many places outside North America, most faculties certainly do not consist of professors – Colin Fine Nov 17 '11 at 17:43
up vote 6 down vote accepted

In general, you would simply say "staff members". If you are referring to a specific cateogry of staff, you might say "administrators" or "janitors" or whatever.

share|improve this answer

Following Jay, "staff member" sounds good. I have also heard "staffer." You could consider just "employee," though that would not exclude members of the faculty.

It is also common, in my experience, to use the noun "staff" as a plural to mean "members of the staff" ("faculty" can get a similar treatment). For example, "Staff are entitled to a discount on football tickets."

share|improve this answer
Quite true. I'm upvoting you even though you're a competing answer. :-) – Jay Nov 18 '11 at 19:24

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.