English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

"Not only ... But also"

What is this sentence pattern called in English grammar? How can I find these patterns?

share|improve this question
By watching lots of old British TV comedies? – a different ben Jan 9 '14 at 8:48
up vote 6 down vote accepted

The basic pattern is called coordination or conjunction. It's where two distinct words or clauses are being joined in a single sentence (to compare, contrast, etc.)

There's also a class of words called conjunctions (including, for example, and, but, for, or, nor, yet, and so) which are commonly used in sentences with this pattern.

share|improve this answer

This pattern together with some others that you can find here is called correlative conjunction.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.