Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is there a term that covers grave and acute accents, umlauts, cedillas, tildes and all other characters that can be added to normal letters.

I have come across the word diacritics. But this seems to include things like commas and apostrophes.

share|improve this question
It's the first link on 3 of those wiki pages. –  z7sg Ѫ Nov 16 '11 at 12:31
@z7sgѪ Heh, I didn't look at the links. In that case, it probably is general reference, you're right. –  onomatomaniak Nov 16 '11 at 12:34
Four of those five Wikipedia pages are in the category Alphabetic diacritics (see bottom of the page). The fifth is a disambiguation page, but the intended page is also in Alphabetic diacritics. –  Hugo Nov 16 '11 at 12:43
I did see the word "diacritic", but I had understood it to include commas, etc. So I thought it was not the correct level of abstraction. Thanks to onomatomaniak for explaining. –  Urbycoz Nov 16 '11 at 12:47
add comment

closed as general reference by z7sg Ѫ, Jasper Loy, Hugo, Mitch, Mr. Shiny and New 安宇 Nov 16 '11 at 14:55

This question is too basic; it can be definitively and permanently answered by a single link to a standard internet reference source designed specifically to find that type of information.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

1 Answer

up vote 7 down vote accepted

I believe the term you're looking for is diacritic.

share|improve this answer
It seems that a diacritic also includes "apostrophes", "commas", etc. I'm only interested in characters that can be added to normal letters. –  Urbycoz Nov 16 '11 at 12:38
Commas are not diacritical in English. See: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma#Diacritical_usage. (Apostrophes aren't either; they're diacritical in languages whose scripts use them in the form of an "accent", not a punctuation mark.) –  onomatomaniak Nov 16 '11 at 12:41
Adding a comma to individual letters- how weird! Oh ok, well I guess it works then. Thanks! –  Urbycoz Nov 16 '11 at 12:44
No problem. (Though I imagine this question will be closed in any case as general reference.) –  onomatomaniak Nov 16 '11 at 12:46
It's looking that way. Unfairly in my opinion. You have to know the word already to know what to look for. Ho hum! –  Urbycoz Nov 16 '11 at 13:43
show 2 more comments

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.