What is the name for words that are contrasting counterparts or near opposites to each other in some context, but are not generally strict antonyms?
Some examples with word1 word2 (example context):
- boys girls (sex or gender roles)
- man machine (discussion of technological division of labor)
- data control (standard digital hardware architecture)
- plants animals (high-school level cellular biology)
- shoes socks (standard layers of footwear)
- weapons armor (two distinct types of equipment in a game)