English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

We have the term "metric" for things measured in decimal or powers of 1000:

  • millimeter
  • meter
  • kilometer

And the term "hexadecimal" for things measured in base 16.

What term describes grouping numbers in powers of sixty, such as used in time or degrees:

  • 23:59:59.999
  • 179° 59' 59.999"
share|improve this question

closed as general reference by Jasper Loy, simchona, Hugo, aedia λ, Marthaª Nov 16 '11 at 17:21

This question is too basic; it can be definitively and permanently answered by a single link to a standard internet reference source designed specifically to find that type of information.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Don't forget octal! Everyone forgets octal... :( – user11550 Nov 16 '11 at 4:20
I don't forget octal. I work with octal daily. :-) – Hand-E-Food Nov 16 '11 at 5:32
Octal is deserving of more publicity, IMO. – user11550 Nov 16 '11 at 14:31
up vote 11 down vote accepted

Sexagesimal is the word:

Sexagesimal (base 60) is a numeral system with sixty as its base. It originated with the ancient Sumerians in the 3rd millennium BC, it was passed down to the ancient Babylonians, and it is still used — in a modified form — for measuring time, angles, and the geographic coordinates that are angles.

share|improve this answer
That's the one I'm after. Thanks! – Hand-E-Food Nov 16 '11 at 0:51

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.