English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm looking for a single word that describes that action of making a stock price go up by a lot in a short period of time. The opposite would be "crash" which makes the stock price fall by a lot in a short amount of time.

Edit: I'm going to try to clear this up. I'm not getting confused about for which action I'm looking for a word. I am making a game in which players interact with a virtual stock market. However, there is an "admin" who is in complete and total control of the market, which does not exist in the real world, and I understand this. I do not need words that describe the stock price suddenly rising or falling. I need words that describe the action of causing the price to rise or fall. I realize that this does not happen in the real stock market, but it does happen in my game.

share|improve this question
Are you looking for the verb that indicates the actor is causing the stock price to rise or the verb where the stock is the actor? You seem to be asking for the former, but your example crash is more the later as you don't usually say "he crashed the stock" but rather "the stock crashed" – Dusty Nov 14 '11 at 23:47
I am looking for the verb about causing it. I'm making a game and the admin needs to be able to "crash" or "___" each stock. – xdumaine Nov 15 '11 at 0:12
People don't crash stocks. Stocks crash. So you might want to ask a new question to cover both of them. (EDIT: Or accept that the admin can "crash" or "rally/surge" the stock, with the understanding that the words don't match the situation properly.) – jprete Nov 15 '11 at 1:02
I never heard of speculators crashing stock prices. I think OP is getting confused with the fact that we speak of markets / share prices that crash or boom. The normal term for deliberate action is drive up/down the share price. – FumbleFingers Nov 15 '11 at 4:15
@roviuser Crash is something that happens to a stock, but you need an Admin to be able to change the value of the stock. Does Lower and Raise stock value work? – Raj More Nov 15 '11 at 10:14
up vote 4 down vote accepted

I would go with allowing the admin to tank and boost the stock.

share|improve this answer

Assuming you are referring to the action that the stock is taking (and not the cause of the rise), I've most commonly heard rally:

A rally is a period of sustained increases in the prices of stocks, bonds or indexes

share|improve this answer
In my question I clearly say "word that describes that action of making a stock price go up." I don't mean the stock rising, but the act of causing the stock to rise. – xdumaine Nov 15 '11 at 0:36
@roviuser obviously it wasn't as clear as you thought since multiple people asked for clarification about it. Also, please keep in mind that a lot of the askers here are not native English speakers, so it's not always safe to take the wording in their questions too literally. But, you might try some more generic term like "boost". – TM. Nov 15 '11 at 1:09
Also, this might be helpful, a common real-world case where this happens is a "stock repurchase" or "stock buyback" (where a company buys its own stock to boost demand for it and raise the price). You might be able to find some news articles about those with a good descriptive term. – TM. Nov 15 '11 at 1:10

You can use soar or surge. However these are intransitive verbs so we say the prices soared or the prices surged.

share|improve this answer

A rally is when prices steadily increase.

A surge or soar is when they increase suddenly.

This is applicable for all prices, (gold, fuel, etc), not just stocks

share|improve this answer

I do not know how formal this answer has to be so I will simply suggest the word skyrocketed, for sudden and huge increase in stock price.

E.g. the stock price skyrocketed today at 11am

You can say "the stock prices crashed", as you can "the stock prices skyrocketed", so I think it can be a good answer.

share|improve this answer

Inflate might fit the bill, although I prefer the monosyllabic symmetry of saritonin's tank and boost.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.