English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Imagine that one wanted to present a list of (a) published academic papers and theses, and (b) unpublished papers and/or essays (I'm not sure if there is a real difference between these two concepts). Which headings would make most sense to separate the two? Papers and essays? Official papers and unofficial papers?

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

Published papers and Unpublished papers seem adequate to me.

share|improve this answer
Are theses considered as published? In that case, it's a good suggestion. – Speldosa Nov 14 '11 at 9:18
@Speldosa: If a thesis is published it seems reasonable to call it a published paper. It depends on the practice of the particular academic institution, I suppose. – Barrie England Nov 14 '11 at 9:23
If you label the section: "Published papers and theses", you leave it ambiguous whether the thesis was actually published. You can then use "Unpublished papers and essays" as the other section heading. – Peter Shor Nov 14 '11 at 13:46

How about "releases" and "internal drafts"?

share|improve this answer
Well, doesn't "draft" imply more of an unfinished work? (The dictionary says: "A preliminary version of a piece of writing.") – Speldosa Nov 14 '11 at 9:17
Well, in that case you can call it "internal release" or "internally released papers". I got the impression that internally written papers are released once they're published, but I don't know how your organization has defined that workflow. – Raku Nov 14 '11 at 13:50

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.