English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

When I apply for the admission to the graduate school in America, I need to provide the "Recommendation Provider" in the online system.

  • What should I write when I am asked "relationship to you"?
  • Are there any specific group of words for such relationship?
  • Is "teacher-student" a proper word?
  • What if the professor is not only my teacher but also the thesis adviser? How should I write the relationship?
share|improve this question
Generally applications are asking how the person is related to you but not how the two of you are related. So you would write "professor", for instance, but not "professor-student". – Monica Cellio Nov 14 '11 at 4:40
up vote 6 down vote accepted

"Professor" is his relationship to you. "Professor & thesis adviser", or "Professor/Adviser" would cover the rest.

I don't know of a better word, unless you are looking for something like "mentor". That might be helpful if you were writing a recommendation for him, but not so much for you.

share|improve this answer

Strictly speaking, the name of the relationship would be something like:

  • Tutelage
  • Mentorship
  • Apprenticeship
  • Guidance
  • Instruction, etc.

However, when asked for their "relationship to you", you are expected to only give their title or role such as "professor" or "thesis advisor".

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.