English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

A clarification of a European building code has been issued, therefore a separate correction for the book is released. What would this correction be called?

I have had the words amendment and addendum suggested from different sources.

share|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted

Errata would be the term for corrections of errors. I think that your suggestion of amendment would be a better choice for a clarifying edit of the original document, assuming that it did not contain outright errors.

share|improve this answer
Thank you, I'll use amendment. – aaaaaaaaaaaa Nov 9 '11 at 17:10

Sounds like you're looking for corrigendum (pluralized as corrigenda). Also,wiki lists errata as its synonym.Both refer to corrections made after a book has been published.

share|improve this answer
Many textbooks come out with errata after the book is published and corrections need to be made. – saritonin Nov 9 '11 at 16:14
Jeff Sahol is right. Amendment is a better choice if the clarification is in terms of policy, etc. Errata is for when there are errors. Corrigendum is neutral but Amendment is still preferable if it fits the context. It really depends on what is meant by clarification. – Autoresponder Nov 9 '11 at 16:27

You indicate "a separate correction for the book is released". A separately published section is generally a supplement, "a publication that has a role secondary to that of another preceding or concurrent publication ... either by bringing it up-to-date ... or by otherwise enhancing the predecessor's coverage of a particular topic or subject matter...".

Previously-suggested errata or corrigenda ("lists of errors and their corrections [in] form of loose, inserted sheets or bound-in pages") and addenda ("addition required to be made to a document by its reader subsequent to its printing or publication") are specific forms of supplements, a term which is slightly more general.

Appendix typically denotes "a text added to the end of a book or an article, containing information that is important to but is not the main idea of the main text" and does not specifically connote separate publication.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.