English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a term for a person's audible reaction, the quoted written form of which we typically find spelled as heh or hmph?

share|improve this question
This would be as opposed to "hmmm" which is more a reaction of wondering or pondering. (e.g. "Hmmm", I pondered) – purefusion Nov 8 '11 at 12:33
Hmph isn't really "as opposed to" Hmmm. The latter is often just a more "deferential" way of saying I don't [wholeheartedly] agree. – FumbleFingers Nov 8 '11 at 14:09
Duly noted, thanks for that clarification. :) – purefusion Nov 8 '11 at 16:45
up vote 6 down vote accepted

I think they express different sentiments (and thus call for different words).

Heh (a slight laugh) could be described as a chuckle.

Hmph (a sound of disapproval) could be described as a harrumph.

share|improve this answer
+1 for harrumph, which I think is fine both as a noun and a verb. I think OP didn't mean Heh as in a chuckle - the harrumph context can indicated by lots of onomatopoeic variations, including Heh, Hum, Hah, Hmph, etc. They're all vague though - I think anything implying disapproval/exasperation is covered by harrumph even if the actual sound is transcribed as Tut, Tsk, Pffft, or whatever. – FumbleFingers Nov 8 '11 at 13:59
Hrm. Yeah, I guess I use the textual "heh" more as a reaction meaning "that's interesting" moreso than as a chuckle, but it does make sense in that respect. My wife also suggests scoffing as an alternative term for "hmph" which admittedly sounds better as a verb than saying (e.g. "Hmph", I scoffed.) – purefusion Nov 8 '11 at 16:50

I think the word you're looking for is "onomatopoeia".

share|improve this answer
"Well, you can't exactly use it as a verb. Heh." I onomatopoeiaed. – purefusion Nov 8 '11 at 16:51
While heh or hmph is correctly an onomatopoeia, I think the OP is looking more for a word like "sighed" that is relevant to the specific case. – simchona Nov 9 '11 at 0:32

A female friend who was baffled about why her husband wasn't having some minor health problem seen to said

I told him he needed to go see the doctor.

I suggested that he had

responded with an inarticulate grunt

She agreed and was--perhaps--enlightened. At least she bullied him into giving a real response and eventually into seeing the doctor.

Anyway, it's not a single word or a particularly sonorous phrase, but I think it covers the whole category. Learning to interpret the ones your SO uses is a whole different problem.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.