English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a specific name (a single word or phrase) for the pile, heap, nest, clump, cluster, configuration, stack or arrangement of sticks or shapes used in pick-up-sticks or jackstraws, when piled up for play? If so, what is the word or phrase?

Note, in pick-up-sticks straight sticks of various colors are used; in jackstraws, many of the objects of the game are molded or carved shapes. Also note, the game is sometimes called spillikins, and a spillikin is “One of the straws used in the game of jackstraws (spillikins)”.

share|improve this question
What's wrong with heap or pile? – FrustratedWithFormsDesigner Nov 7 '11 at 18:15
If someone says heap or pile, do you automatically think of a nest of pick-up-sticks? Neither word is specific to the case. Is there a word that is? – jwpat7 Nov 7 '11 at 18:41
Ah, I didn't realize you wanted a word that only referred to a pile of pick-up-sticks. – FrustratedWithFormsDesigner Nov 7 '11 at 18:42
The official Parker Brothers rules for jackstraws (found here in several different versions) call it a pile or a heap. In French, they call it un tas. – Peter Shor Nov 7 '11 at 18:53
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Jumble seems to be a word that's associated with both pick-up-sticks and jackstraw.

It's amusing to Google "jackstraws jumble" and note all the instances where jackstraws and jumble are used in association (“The jackstraw jumble of rotting wood made for uncertain footing.”), probably because of the alliteration involved.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.