English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In Chinese, when we want to express the idea of "change A which is erroneous to B which is correct", we usually say "correct A to B"; very concise, right? But is it the proper way to express that meaning?

If so, please cite a web page containing that expression; if not, present the correct way please and cite a web page too.

share|improve this question
What is "sth.A" and "sth.B"? – Mark Nov 7 '11 at 13:24
@Mark sth is an unnecessary abbreviation for something, like sb for somebody. I've corrected sth.X to X. – Hugo Nov 7 '11 at 13:53
up vote 7 down vote accepted

Yes, it's fine to use the form "Correct A to B" for simple sentences.

Some examples:

share|improve this answer

It's not correct to say that. I prefer to use "replace A with B".

e.g. I will replace the broken vase with the new one."

A link for reference as your demand.

share|improve this answer
In the fix-a-written-mistake context, it certainly is ok to say "correct A to B." Granted, in your example one cannot correctly replace replace with correct. – jwpat7 Nov 7 '11 at 18:32
The problem of "replace A with B" is: it does not implies that A is wrong, unsuitable, unreasonable etc while B is correct, suitable, reasonable . – Jimm Chen Nov 9 '11 at 3:22
Using "correct/to" in the OP's sense is not incorrect, it's simply less idiomatic than "replace/with". – Hot Licks Jan 18 at 0:19

protected by Rathony Mar 9 at 1:34

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.