Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am about to sponsor a fraternity, but I would like to have a more general word for what I'm sponsoring. Next time, the fraternity could well be a study club, or something else.

Therefore, what is the sponsored party also called?

share|improve this question
Sponsee "is unnecessary, and abhorrent in form... As a corollary, anyone who uses either of these words will immediately be plonked into the category "illiterate philistine"." –  Hugo Oct 31 '11 at 22:23
If the sponsored party is a single individual, and only you or a very small number of sponsors are bankrolling him, he'd be your protege. For more broad-based arrangements, I think most people would just say your fraternity, for example, is a pet project –  FumbleFingers Oct 31 '11 at 22:23
add comment

2 Answers

In the section of their Consolidated Code regarding sponsorship, the International Chamber of Commerce sticks to sponsored party.

Apparently, they wanted to avoid hideous neologisms like sponsee -- which isn't even in my Merriam-Webster Unabridged.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Sounds like a beneficiary.

It's a reasonably broad term, but sponsoring is similarly broad.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.