English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In university I learned that we say to do a degree in X but I saw many other sources where it says to take a degree in X.

Which is correct? Is there a regional difference?

share|improve this question
In the US, at least, you generally get a degree. – onomatomaniak Oct 29 '11 at 17:54
And in the US, before you actually get a degree, you are working on it, not doing it. – Peter Shor Oct 29 '11 at 19:37

The OED’s definition 34a of take is:

To receive, get (something given, bestowed, or administered); to have conferred upon one (spec. a sacrament, office, order of merit, degree, etc.)

That confirms my first thought that you can only take a degree once you have earned it. Before you reach that stage you have to study for a degree or, much less formally, do a degree. In British universities you can read for a degree, but that has a rather stiff sound to it these days.

share|improve this answer

I would generally say, and usually hear, that a person is pursuing a degree in something. Such as, "John is pursuing a double degree in business and marketing."

share|improve this answer


You can pursue a degree in X. You can get a degree in x. (Americans use this expression most.) And you can work on/towards a degree in x.

North Americans would very much be at a loss hearing "do/take a degree".

share|improve this answer

Both are fine, but in the States we usually say, "get a degree in" while in the process and "have a degree in" once it has been conferred.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.