English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What word is appropriate for someone who tries to one up everything you say? For example:

Me: "You are a great friend"
Person: "Well, you are my best friend"

share|improve this question
"that guy"...don't be that guy ;) – kekekela Oct 29 '11 at 4:00
last word freak :-) – Autoresponder Oct 29 '11 at 10:38
Münchausen syndrome. – Unreason Nov 1 '11 at 2:34
I've heard such a person described as a 'black cat' - because if you had a black cat, he'd have one that was blacker! – peterG Jan 27 '14 at 18:10

As implied by the question itself, the standard term for the behaviour itself is one-upmanship.

Although alphadictionary.com is prepared to accept one-upman as a word in itself, to be honest I think they're in the minority on that one. In the absence of a convenient single-word derivation from the standard term, people usually just say it using more words - for example...

He always has to one-up everything you say. (lots of written instances in that link)

Most of us indulge in one-upmanship from time to time - it's part of normal social interaction. It only becomes tiresome with those few people who do it excessively. The most common single-word adjective I can think of for such a person is competitive. Which has lots of other shades of meaning, but when used in the context of how someone interacts socially, I think most people will know exactly what you mean.

user653's comment to @Barrie's answer reminds me of my favourite example from Dilbert...

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
There's another word, which I can't for the moment remember. Perhaps someone else will come up with it. – Barrie England Oct 29 '11 at 6:41
@Barrie: the one I'm thinking about is much better. – Mitch Oct 29 '11 at 12:48

I've remembered the word I was trying to think of earlier. It's topper, although it's not in the OED as such.

share|improve this answer
The Dilbert cartoon occasionally features a character by that name exhibiting this trait. "That's nothing!" he will say, before out-doing the main character, often implausibly. – lotsoffreetime Oct 30 '11 at 21:50

It's not exact by any stretch, but show-off could work.

share|improve this answer
It's not showing off. It's just constantly attempting to out-do others. – Urbycoz Nov 1 '11 at 13:56

Along the lines of @Barrie, in our family someone exhibiting this trait would be called a story-topper. Whether this is a commonly used term I have no idea, but it should be!

share|improve this answer

“academic” (as a noun) could be used, given that one-upmanship is endemic to academia.

Me: “You are a great friend.”

Person: “Well, you’re my best friend.”

Me: “Oh, don’t be an academic.”

(or: Me: “Oh, don’t play the academic.”)

share|improve this answer

protected by tchrist Dec 13 '14 at 17:46

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.