English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a technical term for combination, in error, of similar or related words? This question is prompted by the following malapropism or solecism, from an article by Elizabeth Montalbano in InformationWeek:

The project also serves as a segueway into the next-generation Joint Polar Satellite System (JPSS), a program by NOAA that also will collect weather and climate data.

The writer presumably formed segueway by miscegenation of segue with Segway. The problem does not seem to be a simple typographical error, which "includes errors due to mechanical failure or slips of the hand or finger, but usually excludes errors of ignorance, such as spelling errors." It also seems unlikely to be a neologism. Some processes of word formation -- agglutination, back-formation, blending, etc. -- of course are in play here, but those terms don't imply error.

share|improve this question
It's possible he was going for "segue", but didn't realize the "ue" part was pronounced "way". Words like vague and vogue could give someone the idea that the "ue" is silent. – user11550 Oct 28 '11 at 21:58
is this a variety of eggcorn? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggcorn – nohat Oct 28 '11 at 23:43
Mahnax @FumbleFingers Isn't Elizabeth normally a women's name? – Hugo Oct 29 '11 at 6:59
Your "miscegenation" seemed like a pretty good coinage. – Malvolio Sep 13 '12 at 1:28
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Misjuxtaposition is used in these situations. It's something that exists in "common use", but not the dictionary so I don't know that that would count here.

share|improve this answer


Otherwise, I would say eggcorn.

share|improve this answer
While eggcorn may be appropriate, malapropism (use of an inappropriate word in place of a similar sounding one) plainly is not. – jwpat7 Jun 7 '12 at 1:32
Eggcorn is exactly what you need, per jwpat – Richard Haven Jul 21 '12 at 20:52

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.