English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a term in English (or borrowed from other languages) that describes the moment wherein an author mentions what is happening whilst creating the work one is reading?

As an example, consider the following verse in Bob Dylan's Blind Willie McTell:

I’m gazing out the window
Of the St. James Hotel

And I know no one can sing the blues
Like Blind Willie McTell

My interpretation is that he is gazing out the window when writing the lyric: an intimate moment that bring us even closer, and may describe the inspiration.

Personally, I find that moment absolutely chilling. Is there a name for it?

share|improve this question
In theater, television, and cinema, this is breaking the fourth wall, especially when directed towards the audience. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_wall I don't think the same phrase would apply to writing, though. – yoozer8 Oct 28 '11 at 0:18
That is a brilliant observation, Jim. I find those moments intriguing as well. – Michael Easter Oct 28 '11 at 0:23
The melody is loosely based on the (brilliant) New Orleans standard "St. James Infirmary", so I definitely see these lyrics as a tip-of-the-hat. – Hugo Oct 28 '11 at 18:22

It can be called authorial intrusion or narrative intrusion, although these terms describe a more general literary device, where the author interrupts the story to say something directly to the reader. I don't know any special terminology for the more specific case where the author says something about what is happening while they are writing.

share|improve this answer
I recently watched the somewhat disturbing Funny Games. Well into the movie there are a couple of brief moments where an character briefly, wordlessly, and unexpectedly acknowledges the camera/audience by [eye] movement. It's like being dragged onto the stage in the middle of a play! – FumbleFingers Oct 28 '11 at 2:26

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.