English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Clever conversation, aka "witty [reh-par-tay]" ... can't for the life of me remember how to spell that loan word, though I use it in spoken English from time to time.

I am pretty sure it's not repertoire.

share|improve this question

closed as general reference by ShreevatsaR, kiamlaluno, MrHen, Marthaª, Jasper Loy Nov 23 '11 at 21:09

This question is too basic; it can be definitively and permanently answered by a single link to a standard internet reference source designed specifically to find that type of information.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

google.com/search?q=rehpartay "Showing results for repartee" … "Noun: Conversation or speech characterized by quick, witty comments." Right there at the top. – ShreevatsaR Oct 25 '11 at 5:54
Just to help you remember...: There was a young man named McGee - who took a sojourn in Paree - When they asked "Parlay Vous?" - he replied "Same to you!" - a fine bit a fast repartee. – mickeyf Nov 8 '11 at 0:30
up vote 8 down vote accepted

That word would be repartee. (Since it's French, I've sometimes seen it spelled with an accented e, repartée, even though it's not necessarily supposed to have one.)

repartee at dictionary.com

share|improve this answer
Look at the pronunciation there: Like the French original "repartie". – GEdgar Oct 25 '11 at 3:25
The word "repartée" does not exist in French. @GEdgar: the French original is "répartie". – Did Oct 25 '11 at 8:00

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.