English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The phrase

temporary pause

is unnecessarily long; just 'pause' is enough.

Does a simple noun exist to use to describe this type of usage? 'Redundant' or 'wordy' are good adjectives but I can't think of a good simple noun. (suggesting 'redundant usage' isn't what I'm looking for). I'm looking for something analogous to 'oxymoron' but as it relates to the redundancy of the phrase.

share|improve this question
Why the down vote? – Jason Waldrop Oct 19 '11 at 14:25
Redundancy? ... – Mr. Shiny and New 安宇 Oct 19 '11 at 14:33
up vote 17 down vote accepted

The 75 cent word you are looking for is


the use of more words than are necessary.

share|improve this answer

It's an example of tautology

(Linguistics / Grammar) use of words that merely repeat elements of the meaning already conveyed, as in the sentence Will these supplies be adequate enough? in place of Will these supplies be adequate?

It's also redundancy, but that word has many other meanings beyond this specific sense. And pleonasm - far less common overall, and often occurs as pleonastic (referring to longer texts, or to people who habitually write in this way).

share|improve this answer

I would just call it a redundancy. According to Dictionary.com:

2. superfluous repetition or overlapping, especially of words.

share|improve this answer

Not exactly what you're looking for, but turgid can be used to describe language that is unnecessarily complex or bloated.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.