English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I need to translate some personal info and the original text includes a phrase (literally) "friend of the people". It's a bit tongue in cheek, intended as a personal touch, since the dossier is mainly about the person's professional experience in creative areas such as advertising and promotion.

What phrase would you suggest using here? I don't want it to sound awkward, pompous or political (and the first Google hit when searching for "friend of the people" happens to be a Wikipedia entry on a historical revolutionary figure...).

Another word that I'm not sure how to translate is "practicioner" (?), whose meaning is supposed to be: someone valuing practical experience and accomplishments over book knowledge. Someone whose know-how comes from doing real things and who excels at getting things done.

It's not for a CV, it's a dossier for publication.

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by Mitch, Jasper Loy, kiamlaluno, waiwai933 Feb 10 '12 at 5:36

Questions on English Language & Usage Stack Exchange are expected to relate to English language and usage within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Sociopaths excepted, everyone is a "friend of the people" to some extent. But without context, let's assume this person is public-spirited, rather than a political revolutionary. – FumbleFingers Oct 18 '11 at 21:33
I suggest you edit off the 2nd question and ask it separately. That is, start a new ESE question for practitioner, and remove it from this one & the title. – jwpat7 Oct 18 '11 at 22:16
I don't get it. What translation are you looking and from what language to what language? If not that are you really looking for synonyms? – Mitch Oct 18 '11 at 22:39

Perhaps you can add more context? Otherwise, replies are likely to be a bit scatter-shot, like the following.

'Regular guy' - A common, ordinary, man of the people. Google shows, eg, "Mitt Romney has made a point of sharing regular-guy moments over Twitter" and "I'm just a normal guy. I'm a two-time Emmy winner, teacher of media writing, P1, Apple fanboy and loyal fan of Top Chef and The Daily Show."

Other terms that come to mind -- out-going, personable, public figure, mover and shaker.

For 2nd question: Consider hands-on, down-to-earth, grounded, practical-minded.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.