English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

If I was starting a club for cool kids only, I would recruit all the cool kids by, for example, actively seeking them out and convincing them to join the club.

To keep the uncool kids out of my club, I dissuade them from wanting to be in my club by telling them that it's a dumb club and only losers join. Is there a word that describes what I'm doing to the uncool kids?

share|improve this question
Ah, rather like the infamous "unvite." Along those lines, I suggest "decruting," although only as a joke, so it's not going in an answer. – James McLeod Oct 17 '11 at 22:54
It's called enforced "cool hygiene" - See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics :) – osknows Oct 17 '11 at 23:39
@JamesMcLeod "decruting" is the term I've been using. If only it were that easy. – Mike Wierzbicki Oct 18 '11 at 1:01
To slog off would be an alternative in UK slang :p . forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2247646 – James Poulson Aug 29 '12 at 0:17
up vote 3 down vote accepted
  • frighten off, frighten away, scare away?
  • indispose, alienate
  • get rid of; shake off
share|improve this answer
What the OP is describing isn't really scary or frightening, though. – Daniel Oct 17 '11 at 22:58
+1 for alienate – Brendon Oct 18 '11 at 2:06
There may not be a perfect word, but I am leaning towards alienate, as well. – Mike Wierzbicki Oct 18 '11 at 3:49
Accepting for alienate. – Mike Wierzbicki Oct 19 '11 at 14:05

Play down, belittle, minimize, dissuade, soft-pedal, disparage, discourage. I don't think there's a perfect word.

share|improve this answer
Yes, I'm beginning to think that. – Mike Wierzbicki Oct 18 '11 at 3:44

According to Dictionary.com:

divert: to turn aside or from a path or course; deflect.

And there is also discourage:

discourage: to deprive of courage, hope, or confidence; dishearten; dispirit.

share|improve this answer

A word that comes to mind is nobble in the senses "to disable" or "to suborn". Phrase "warn off" might apply. Also see numerous synonyms of impede and restrain, such as throttle, trammel, restrict, baffle, inhibit, encumber, intimidate, daunt, frighten away, frighten off, handicap, and hinder. Also see disingenuity.

share|improve this answer

One time, when America's Phineas T. Barnum had too many people at a show in his tent, he created a sign, "This way to the egress." [exit] A number of people followed it, and found themselves on the outside. So the term I might use is "egressing."

share|improve this answer
IF you do it subtly, are you being passive egressive? :D – Jordaan Mylonas Oct 18 '11 at 23:29

Dissuade would be my choice, seeing as how on the other side you are trying to persuade the cool kids.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.