English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the word (I believe it starts with a "C") which means that a noun and a verb go together, e.g.: you can:

  • hold a meeting
  • start a meeting
  • end a meeting

but it would be odd to say that you:

  • make a meeting
  • create a meeting
  • do a meeting


I learned the word a long time ago in a linguistics class I took, it's something like "correlate" or "conjugate" but I can't remember it.

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

The word is collocation.

share|improve this answer
Or this. Something new every day! – Lunivore Oct 17 '11 at 14:40
awesome, I knew I was close with "co..." something, thanks! – Edward Tanguay Oct 17 '11 at 14:44
The term collocation simply means any idiomatic usages where particular words are normally used together with no semantic or grammatical justification for not using other words. It's not specific to verb+noun, or noun+noun pairings. – FumbleFingers Oct 17 '11 at 14:55

I think it may be complementary, and it's not just for nouns.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.