English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the term for the narrow uncovered walkway that fringes the sides of a ship? It's enclosed by a railing. I wouldn't call it a deck, because deck implies a larger open area. It's a passageway from the bow to the stern, or between different decks.

share|improve this question
up vote 7 down vote accepted

Your question fits the description of promenade deck from Wikipedia:

The promenade deck is a deck found on several types of passenger ships and riverboats. It usually extends from bow to stern, on both sides, and includes areas open to the outside, resulting in a continuous outside walkway suitable for promenading, (ie, walking) thus the name.

A deck does not have to be a large open area:

Deck 1. Nautical a. a floorlike surface wholly or partially occupying one level of a hull, superstructure, or deckhouse, generally cambered, and often serving as a member for strengthening the structure of a vessel.

share|improve this answer

Do you mean, "promenade deck"?

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.