English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a word for a mirror reflecting another mirror infinitely? I.e. if two mirrors are put one against another, how would I call it (or if there is no word for it)?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

An easy way to summon up that image for most readers would be a reference to a hall of mirrors. If you want to talk about that effect, you might say hall-of-mirrors effect (though a quick Google search tells me this has specific connotations in the programming world).

share|improve this answer
Another name given to the same thing is house of mirrors. – onomatomaniak Oct 14 '11 at 8:24
Or Fun-House Mirrors. – GEdgar Oct 14 '11 at 15:55
Aren't funhouse mirrors more the type than make you skinny/fat/distorted/etc.? – onomatomaniak Oct 14 '11 at 16:12

You might say they were infinitely regressive, although that's a term generally used in logic.

share|improve this answer
"Infinitely regressive" would be good, but I need it to be a little more poetic (sorry for not mentioning that in the question). – Mykolas Simutis Oct 14 '11 at 8:13

"Mise en abyme" is the French phrase but I think very usable in English poetry or prose:


share|improve this answer

A year late and a dollar short. I found your thread trying to remember the word. Hint of the day: it's out there.

The word we were both looking for is "recursive" or "recursion".

share|improve this answer
Perhaps reciprocal recursive, but recursive on its own means that the mirror would create this effect alone. – Em1 Nov 16 '12 at 21:29

How about "mirrorrim"? Not a real word as far as I know, but don't let that stop you.

share|improve this answer
Too bad I have to translate it to Lithuanian.. :) – Mykolas Simutis Oct 14 '11 at 10:14
In laser physics we call it a resonant optical cavity, but that's not very poetic either. – Optimal Cynic Oct 14 '11 at 10:35

"recursive" or "recursion" doesn't really indicate the affect which is "reflection" - so... compound


Remove the prefix and compound


Remove the suffix 'sive'


change the tence?

Recurflect??? Recurflected???

Drop the prefix??? (Again?) :)


I come up with Curflection 'the multiple images of a mirrors own reflection' OR

Re-curflection 'the repeating image of a mirrors own reflection/(Curflection)'

A slightly educated and researched guess :)

share|improve this answer
I have to ask: since recursive does not work, why is it your starting point? Why not start with generous, or amaranthine, or Karl Marx? They don't work just as well. If a word does not fit, the solution is to drop it, not to rape it. – RegDwigнt Jan 25 '14 at 22:35
Also, do read up on all the terms you are throwing around. You can't change the tense of a noun. A noun has no tense. – RegDwigнt Jan 25 '14 at 22:38
In addition, I believe you mean "effect" not "affect". – jbeldock Jan 26 '14 at 5:36

protected by RegDwigнt Jan 25 '14 at 22:31

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.