English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

There are some words that have similar sounds, though they seem to not share any particular root, and have general connotation. For example, gl-, in gleam, glitter, glisten, has something to do with shiny things. That's the only one I can think of, but I saw an article with one or two other similar "root"s.

Is there a name for words/sounds/roots like these?

Is there a good resource for a list of them? Could be fun to learn them all and use them for poetic effect.

share|improve this question
Your example reminds me of the Jabberwocky and how the nonsense sounds of the words reveal their implied definition: "'twas brillig" which sort of evokes "bright" and "brilliant". – Jared Updike Oct 28 '10 at 22:31

I don't know what to call gl- in contemporary English (it's not even a morpheme), but in all of your three words, it descends from the same Proto-Indo-European base with the meaning "to shine, glitter, glow, be warm".

Two good resources for browsing Proto-Indo-European roots and identifying English words with common origins are:

  1. Wiktionary
  2. The American Heritage Dictionary of Indo-European Roots
share|improve this answer
is it the same root as "glance, glamor, glare, glean, gloss, glimmer," and "glabrescent"? (Ok forget the last one =P). – Claudiu Oct 29 '10 at 13:53

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.