English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Some people use specific words out of habit that they have used since childhood. Without their knowledge, these words will be the first to come out of their mouths. Examples of what I'm talking about include actually and what the fuck.

Is there a particular term to describe such words? I've searched for it but failed to come up with anything.

share|improve this question
It's not clear what phenomenon you are looking for a word for. I take it you don't just mean "swearing". – Colin Fine Oct 10 '11 at 16:46
I edited your question for clarity, @Abhishek; this seems to be what you were asking. – onomatomaniak Oct 10 '11 at 16:53
Belatedly, I regret having voted to close. The word OP is looking for is filler – FumbleFingers Oct 10 '11 at 17:14
Voting to reopen. Though the original was badly worded, I think there was a legitimate question there. – onomatomaniak Oct 10 '11 at 17:15
@Abhishek: Please provide examples that illuminate what you are trying to find out. – Robusto Oct 10 '11 at 17:45

I've heard the term verbal tic used in this context, for habitual expressions that the speaker jams into sentences irrespective of meaning or sense; I overheard one a man say:-

"To be honest with you, Spurs won 2-0. You know what I mean?"

As no-one could doubt his honesty in reporting a football score, or entertain any doubts as to the meaning, I'd guess this is the sort of phrase you are interested in. He'd add one (or both) of those little fragments to practically everything he said.

share|improve this answer
+1. Verbal tic seems close. – onomatomaniak Oct 11 '11 at 12:04

It's not a linguistic term, but I think the phrase habitual vocabulary conveys what you're looking for.

share|improve this answer

I'd say impulse words or reflex words. Sometimes mothers say their kids regurgitate bad language, and regurgitation comes when the gag reflex activates. So..., 'reflex' words. And, when you do something on impulse, it happens automatically. For example, when you step on a nail, you jump up into the air, 'on impulse'/automatically. If you impulsively yell 'wtf', then you're having an 'impulse reaction', thus 'impulse words'.

You might also look into some words like instinctive and involuntary, or even subconscious and intrinsic, to build a broader syntax.

There's also an off chance you're thinking of Freudian Slips, or 'slips of the tongue'.

share|improve this answer
Freudian Slips, however, can be reflected in various ways. You can have a Freudian Slip of your memory, which causes you to forget something that is semi-sexual, for example. Like, if you forget someone's name because it's Rich, but he goes by his nickname... – Wolfpack'08 Oct 11 '11 at 4:02

I think what you mean is called "catchphrase"

share|improve this answer
Please add an explanation of the term, preferably citing a reference, e.g. oxforddictionaries.com – Matt E. Эллен May 12 '15 at 8:11

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.