English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Which is the correct form?

  • Collaborative Unified Modelling Language design tool for software development teams
  • Collaborative Unified Modelling Language designing tool for software development teams
share|improve this question
It's design, but god knows why. :) – Gleno Oct 6 '11 at 18:28
up vote 2 down vote accepted

I would say design tool, although (like Gleno's comment) I have a difficult time explaining why. Since I can't really explain why, I figured I'd show some evidence of use.

enter image description here

Design tool is the clear winner here.

EDIT: Image generated using Google Ngram Viewer.

share|improve this answer
May I ask you where you generated that diagram? – mhmpl Oct 6 '11 at 18:41
It's from Google Ngram Viewer, lots of fun! books.google.com/ngrams – Hugo Oct 6 '11 at 18:57
Oops, forgot to mention that. Link added. – yoozer8 Oct 6 '11 at 19:12

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.