Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Possible Duplicate:
What are these symbols called? ~ ` ^

Most of use are familiar with " and ' but what is the third ` (same key as ~ on a standard US keyboard) character called, and how or when is it to be used?

I'm thinking that this might simply be a computer only character but I'd like to be sure.

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Matt E. Эллен, Hugo, Daniel, JSBձոգչ, simchona Oct 6 '11 at 13:41

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

It is a duplicate indeed, I don't have the ability to close a dup. –  Unkwntech Oct 6 '11 at 8:12

1 Answer 1

According to this it's called either a back quote, acute, grave, grave accent, left quote, open quote, or a push. See wikipedia for its uses in foreign languages to show stress, pitch, and more.

share|improve this answer
I've always referred to the character on its own as a backtick. –  Jez Oct 6 '11 at 9:12
Backtick? Are you in England? –  GEdgar Oct 6 '11 at 16:13

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.