English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

According to the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary the verb, glass, means to encase in glass. Recently, it has also come to mean being attacked or assaulted by a glass vessel/container as in this example:

Another glassing incident... A young woman faces assault charges after allegedly glassing a man in a Brisbane bar early today.

Similar incidents have been reported with a coffee cup, as in this example:

bizarre coffee cup attack between two elderly men over a woman. ...It is understood the younger man was hit over the head with a coffee cup in a popular town centre pub and was also scalded by a hot drink on Saturday morning.

Would this still be considered a glassing incident, or would it be considered (and I am not trying to be funny here) a mugging or mugging incident?

share|improve this question
Wikipedia has an article on glassing. It says that in the UK there is on average one glassing every couple hours. – Daniel Oct 6 '11 at 1:34

This meaning of glass is not that recent. According to the Oxford English Dictionary:

trans. slang (orig. and chiefly Brit.). To strike (a person) with a (broken) glass or bottle, esp. in the face.

It was first noted in the 1930s. However, it is a transferred sense of the word--it is likely that the meaning is creating a use like "stoning" out of "glass". Therefore, it is possible that "mugging" could gain a similar transferred sense.

However, mug already has a fairly accepted usage as a verb where glass as a verb does not (at least, not in current usage). Thus, I think it is less likely for mugging to gain the same form of transferred meaning.

I don't think glassing would apply to the coined mugging, as it seems to refer more to a broken bottle. A term you might use in this situation would be that one was "stabbed with a makeshift weapon". This is clunky, but then one could describe exactly what common item was turned into a weapon.

share|improve this answer
There's one part of the question you don't fully address: if mugging is not synonymous with glassing, what should the OP use to describe glassing incidents that don't involve a glass, like the one with the coffee mug? (Are they still glassing incidents?) – aedia λ Oct 6 '11 at 3:01
@aediaλ Thanks! I've updated. – simchona Oct 6 '11 at 3:21

Glassing, as in stabbing someone with a broken bottle/glass, was given its own word because of how common it was. Doing the same with a mug is hardly commonplace. As such, I'd recommend the more generic shanking which refers to the act of stabbing someone with a homemade or improvised weapon (as is commonplace in prison).

share|improve this answer
That's a fair point regarding the word shanking, however, as I wouldn't expect to be penetrated by a coffee mug as I would a glass vessel/container, or a makeshift weapon for that matter, I was thinking along the lines of an act/offense that would cause blunt trauma. – Bill Oct 6 '11 at 3:47

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.