English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've been looking at various forums with people proposing suggestions, but is there a consensus on what the collective noun is for "clouds"?

share|improve this question
That's the sort of question that invites fanciful answers! A vagueness of clouds, perhaps? An accumulation of clouds? – Barrie England Oct 5 '11 at 7:34
Well you do get a cloud of seafowls, starlings and bats (users.tinyonline.co.uk/gswithenbank/collnoun.htm), but I can't find a collective noun for clouds themselves. – Urbycoz Oct 5 '11 at 7:43
In collective nouns, there are some that are of practical use, such as squadron, platoon, company, etc. - but these also carry other connotations than being a general number or even a specific number - which makes them useful in that field. If you want to describe properties of the clouds to add connotations, you might use a wisp, whirl or blanket of clouds. – Henrik Erlandsson Aug 3 '12 at 11:32
Fanciful answer: I always liked "a flock of clouds" because clouds fly like a flock of birds, and look like a flock of sheep. – Pitarou Jan 30 '14 at 7:51
I quite like "flock of clouds." It's whimsical but it gets the job done. Alternatively a "squadron" of clouds could indicate an offensive storm front swooping aggressively (militaristic tones). – Preston Fitzgerald Jun 2 '14 at 5:29
up vote 10 down vote accepted

I don't know if there's some technical term used by meteorologists, but I think I'd instinctively say a "group" of clouds unless something more poetic was called for.

Remember it is OK to use plain, easily understood words when the fancy ones don't buy you anything. This reminds me of the pointless list of rarely used collective nouns for animals that some people think it's vitally important to their well-being to memorise.

share|improve this answer
Finally! Yes, "contrived" is the word - unless you're writing poetry. (And perhaps even then.) – Henrik Erlandsson Aug 3 '12 at 11:29

I'd say it depends what kind of clouds they are (wispy, thick, black etc.) and what they are doing (moving slowly/quickly, thinning, thickening etc.). One possible collective term is a "scud" of clouds - meaning fast-moving, loose, vapoury clouds. I'm sure many more exist - I will edit if I think of them.

share|improve this answer

There's no consensus, but The Collective Nouns Page gives us a souffle of clouds.

All Sorts has:

  • a pageant of clouds
  • a sky of clouds
  • a storm of clouds
  • a fuck of clouds
  • a cumulonimbus of clouds
  • a menagerie of clouds
  • a cling of clouds

Answers.com suggests a scurry, a soufle and a sea of clouds.

share|improve this answer
A menagerie of clouds is what I've always called them. – user43830 May 7 '13 at 3:03
You mention "a fuck of clouds". This seems strange to me. Could you be thinking of "a fuck load of clouds" instead? – Shawn Nov 11 '13 at 19:45
@Shawn has a good point. That one also jumped out at me. – A E Dec 4 '14 at 9:59
Sorry, I downvoted because "souffle of clouds,""pageant of clouds," "fuck of clouds," "cumulonimbus of clouds" all sound ridiculous to me. And as far as I can tell, the sources don't convincingly indicate that any significant number of people use these phrases. – sumelic Mar 3 at 21:15
@sumelic: First three words: There's no consensus. – Hugo Mar 4 at 8:43

A collective noun for "clouds" would consist of one word or perhaps a compound word as "the cloud-cover" or "the cloud-covering" - don't know whether these words are in the dictionary. I don't think that there is a collective word for clouds. You could invent a word, perhaps "the clouding". - But, why are you interested in a collective word for clouds? In German we have collective words of the form Gebälk (all the beams under the roof), there are a lot of these word-formations, and you could find "Gewölk" (all the clouds), perhaps in poetry. But up to now I could do without "Gewölk". Do you see a need for a collective noun meaning "all the clouds"?

share|improve this answer

A billow of clouds (from billowing) seems quite apt.

share|improve this answer
Welcome to EL&U. Can you provide a citation or example of billow being used as a collective noun for clouds? I would also encourage you to take the site tour and peruse the help center for guidance on how to participate effectively. – choster Jun 2 '14 at 3:24

A cuddle of clouds.. This sounds nice (don't like the word nice)

share|improve this answer
Welcome to EL&U. It does sound nice, but I think the OP wanted something 'official'. Can you provide a citation or example of cuddle being used as a collective noun for clouds? Please take the site tour and visit the help center for guidance on how to use this site. – medica Dec 4 '14 at 11:55

protected by tchrist Mar 4 at 2:14

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.